On January 4th, ready or not, which really I was not, I left Minnesota with overstuffed suitcases, a lot of nerves, but even more excitement. Before I arrived in Haiti, however, I had a few important stops to make…
MSP – LAS
I flew into Las Vegas with my parents and brother, Wade, to celebrate my great-grandmother’s 100th birthday. We drove down to Lake Havasu, AZ, to my great-grandma’s home and partied with the best of ‘em: my grandma, Gayle, aunt, Susan, and many other extended family members. We spent the day listening to my great-grandma, Kay, tell stories and share memories of her life. In her lifetime there have been 18 presidents, 7 wars, and tremendous changes in transportation, technology, and landscapes. So, with her excellent memory, Kay spent the afternoon sharing her past, telling jokes, and even singing a few songs. Fortunately I was able to use my iPad, something she had never seen before, to capture these moments on video.
Although it was a short trip, it was truly a gift to learn so much about my family’s history straight from the source. I also felt very fortunate to be able to see my family before I left for Haiti, and share with them my decision to go.
MSP – LAS
I flew into Las Vegas with my parents and brother, Wade, to celebrate my great-grandmother’s 100th birthday. We drove down to Lake Havasu, AZ, to my great-grandma’s home and partied with the best of ‘em: my grandma, Gayle, aunt, Susan, and many other extended family members. We spent the day listening to my great-grandma, Kay, tell stories and share memories of her life. In her lifetime there have been 18 presidents, 7 wars, and tremendous changes in transportation, technology, and landscapes. So, with her excellent memory, Kay spent the afternoon sharing her past, telling jokes, and even singing a few songs. Fortunately I was able to use my iPad, something she had never seen before, to capture these moments on video.
Although it was a short trip, it was truly a gift to learn so much about my family’s history straight from the source. I also felt very fortunate to be able to see my family before I left for Haiti, and share with them my decision to go.
| My aunt, Susan, dad, Dave, and great-grandma, Kay talking |
| View from the Heat Hotel - London Bridge, Lake Havasu, AZ |
| My mom and me |
LAS – TPA
Leaving Lake Havasu and saying goodbye to the family was hard, but doing it at 5:30 in the morning was even worse. I spent most of January 6th at the airport, landing in Tampa just before 11 pm. Long day! So, what’s in Tampa, you ask? Aquaponics training! I mean, it’s probably best to have a little bit of training before I spend a whole year working on an aquaponics farm for a whole year…
I spent 4 days at Morningstar Fisherman, a training facility that reviewed the fundamentals of aquaponic systems, tilapia biology and aquaculture. The biggest take-away from this training, was realizing how important this system is for Grace Village. Sustainability is a huge success, especially in a country like Haiti. Although I still don’t know what or how I’m going to do this, I left with key information and most importantly, expert’s email addresses and phone numbers (in case I need help).
![]() |
| Morningstar instructor, Phil Reasons, myself, and classmate Dave standing in a fish tank, getting ready to harvest tilapia. I'm smiling but I'm standing in fish poop. |
TPA – MIA; MIA – PAP
Finally, Haiti. Just one short week after leaving Minnesota, I traveled to Nevada, California, Arizona, and Florida, but my travels became complete when I landed in Haiti on January 11th. As I drove up to Grace Village, I was still in shock to say that this is my home for the next year.
In such a short amount of time, it’s become crystal clear Haiti is exactly where I am supposed to be. In every way, the pieces have fallen into place, and things I thought would be difficult have been completed with ease. I did move out of my apartment, I did sell my car, I did pack my suitcase (yes under the 50 lbs. weight restriction), I did wish my great-grandma a very happy birthday and I did say goodbye to all of my friends and family. I feel so blessed to be here and am now overwhelmed, not with the work I need to do, but by the tremendous support I have received.
Haiti 2013, I have arrived.
Finally, Haiti. Just one short week after leaving Minnesota, I traveled to Nevada, California, Arizona, and Florida, but my travels became complete when I landed in Haiti on January 11th. As I drove up to Grace Village, I was still in shock to say that this is my home for the next year.
In such a short amount of time, it’s become crystal clear Haiti is exactly where I am supposed to be. In every way, the pieces have fallen into place, and things I thought would be difficult have been completed with ease. I did move out of my apartment, I did sell my car, I did pack my suitcase (yes under the 50 lbs. weight restriction), I did wish my great-grandma a very happy birthday and I did say goodbye to all of my friends and family. I feel so blessed to be here and am now overwhelmed, not with the work I need to do, but by the tremendous support I have received.
Haiti 2013, I have arrived.
![]() |
| My new roommate, Kristina |


No comments:
Post a Comment