It was a fun week in Haiti as I got explore outside of the walls of Grace Village. On Wednesday morning, as the sun started to come up, a group of us led the 13 older Grace Village children on a hike up the mountain side right in our backyard. Actually, the kids really lead the way. In fact, Ronaldo, a 12 year boy, ran all the way and down the mountain! Trust me, this was no easy hike. I tried it just a few days prior and couldn't make it to the top. With the kids, though, we all made it together. The view was amazing. Grace Village could be seen from the top, with its signature blue rooftops. The kids don't get to outside of Grace Village very often to it was very exciting to see their reactions. We passed many people carrying large baskets on their heads or tools over their shoulders, going to work in Titanyen. Although it was a beautiful hike and amazing workout, I can't imagine hiking over a mountain everyday to get to work!
After we got back to Grace Village, Ronaldo complemented me and said, "Skye, you're a good runner." Trust me, I definitely was not running; I may have been sweating as if I were running but that's about all my body could handle! I smiled and said thanks anyways :)
 |
| Starting out the hike |
 |
| Feeling the burn |
 |
| "Harry! I've reached the top!" - Home Alone 2 (the best movie EVER) |
We celebrated Valentine's day in Haiti just like we would at home - homemade cards and chocolate! I LOVE this holiday mainly because I have such fond memories of it growing up, and red and pink hearts are cute! Plus, it's a good excuse to craft! Haitians are familiar with the holiday as well, and one of our drivers asked me if I was going to "make chocolate," which I'm pretty sure got lost in translation. I replied "no, no, I don't make chocolate, I eat chocolate!" And that I did...all day.
|
|
| Making valentines for my roomies |
Actually, I did step away from the chocolate. Kristina, Lynoue, Josea (GV staff), and I ventured over the mountain to check out a new market. Yes, this was the same mountain we hiked the day before, but this time, we took a truck! It was an amazing drive through the countryside. It's a lot more lush and green, in fact, we even saw fresh water and tall trees.
Along the way, we passed through a couple small towns, but it was mostly farmland. Even though I've only heard how nutrient poor soil is, all I saw was lush, dark earth. It makes sense, the fresh produce I get in the market has to be grown somewhere, and actually most of what these people grow, is sold to not only to the market in Titanyen, but also to markets in Port-au-Prince. So, it was neat to see where our food comes from - can't say I've done that at home.
 |
| cute. |
 |
| cute. cute. |
 |
| cute. cute. cute. |
Before we got to the market, we got out of the car to stretch our legs and we saw a beautiful waterfall! Seeing something like this reminded me that I'm living on the same island as the Dominican Republic - tropical, fresh, and exotic. Absolutely beautiful!
 |
| Lynoue, Josea, and me in front of the waterfall...we all got a little wet! |
After the waterfall break, we went to the market. Kristina and Lynoue, the head cook, were on a mission to find better deals. I like this market a little better because it was less crowded, meaning there's actually space to walk in between vendors. I didn't end up buying anything for myself, but I loved watching Lynoue barter prices. If she wasn't happy with a price, she would walk away or possibly talk to another vendor. When she went back to the original vendor, though, she always got what she wanted - if not a lower price, she got more produce. Overall, mission accomplished; we ended up leaving with a truck bed full of food!
 |
| This is a typical market - merchants lining the road |
 |
| Josea and me with sugarcane from the market |
 |
| The goods! Potatoes, corn, bananas, sugarcane, beans, corossol all for the kiddos at GV |
No comments:
Post a Comment