Saturday, May 11, 2013

Jacmel, Celebrations & Home

Haiti is a great place to celebrate your birthday, especially when you're serving alongside some amazing ladies. Elisa, who works down at the guesthouse, organized a fun day trip to Jacmel with her sister, Caroline, who was in town visiting for the week, and Jean. I don't think I've written about Jean, but he's the head hancho down here - or technically, the engineer that over sees Healing Haiti on the Haiti end. Jean's also my salsa dance teacher, Haitian dad, and on this trip to his hometown, an awesome tour guide.

Jacmel is on the southern coast, approximately 3 hours from Port-au-Prince.
Our day in Jacmel started early, waking up at 5 in order to avoid Port-au-Prince traffic. (The night before Jean knocked on our door to tell Elisa and I we were up too late and needed to go to bed...like a true dad.) Elisa took care of us all by packing all the snacks, CDs, and blankets (it gets cold in the mountains). It was an amazing drive through the mountains, and yes, the blankets were used so we could still drive with the windows down and enjoy the fresh air. We stopped at Bassin-Bleu to go swimming under a waterfall. It was so gorgeous...the pictures don't do justice! The water was just the brightest blue I have ever seen.

One of the pools before the waterfall.
Elisa, Caroline and I hiking to the waterfall...Jean made us raise our arms for whatever reason.
Bassin-bleu! 75 feet deep!
As soon as we pulled over and got out of the truck to take this photo, 2 little kids came up to join us. Jean thought we should try to get a picture of all of us jumping...after several attempts, this is the best we got...
After the waterfall, Jean brought us to the ocean to do some more swimming! We had a great lunch on the beach: lobster, fish, fried plantains, and good ol' Prestige (the local brew). 

Ze beach!
Lobster, fish, plantains and pikliz (a spicy slaw made of cabbage, hot peppers, vinegar, carrots and spices - one of my favorites down here.)
Downtown Jacmel
Kind of has a New Orleans feel to it.
Cleaner than Port-au-Prince
On my actual birthday, I spent the day with family and friends via FaceTime, Skype, emails, texts, and Facebook. My roommates made me a delicious spaghetti dinner. I was so grateful for all the love and well wishes and I know 26 is going to be the best year yet.

Oh, but it doesn't stop there. I went home for two weeks in April and you better believe my mom continued the celebration with her famous homemade chicken and noodles! It's seriously the BEST meal and it was made even better by being able sharing it with the family. I had a wonderful couple weeks home! I ate some amazing food, took lots HOT showers, played in the snow, went to a Twin's game in 30 degree weather, got on the JUMBOTRON at said Twin's game, ate more amazing food, played with my adorable nephews and niece, slept in, and drove a car! All these things I miss...well not so much the snow part...but it truly was the best vacation I've ever had.
This is what I woke up the day after I flew in!
First day back, stopped off to surprise Theo (4) and Delaney (1.5)...look how excited they are to see their aunt!
Celebrating my birthday with my brother, Wade.
Theo!
Ladies and Gentlemen: Homemade Bacon Mac & Cheese Pie - made with brie, gruyere, and cheddar cheese. Be jealous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment