First Try - Tank 16
267 Tilapia
| Last time this fish was seen alive...cause of death: kisses |
So, what did we learn from this experience? For starters, don't move fish, they don't like it. Also, fish scalers are very important to cleaning fish - don't let anyone try to tell you to use the back side of a fillet knife - that person has never cleaned fish before. It's also helpful to have more than 4 people to clean 267 fish. Oh, and fish smell horrible.
Second Try - Tank 15
326 Tilapia
| Broken, like my heart. |
After checking in on the fishies, I heard the unusual sound of rushing water. I found the sump tank tipped sideways, lifted out of the ground. The pipe that carries well water into the sump had broken and the water had been shooting into the ground, under the sump tank, causing the tank to lift upwards. When this happened, the pumps ran dry. All this chaos started sometime during the night, because in the morning the water flow had stopped throughout the entire system. The fish were all swimming in their ammonia infused water, and getting stressed out, and contemplating fish suicide. There was a point in the day where we thought four tanks were going to be harvested instead of just one.
Miraculously we made it out and I'm so glad Cathy was here again. The fish harvest was the easy part. Ten ladies from the community came up to help clean the fish. We also had scalers (hooray). The tough part was fixing the sump - and I can't take any credit for that. The day was such a blur, I don't even know if I remember it clearly. I do know that there were about 10 workers from Grace Village who stepped up and were the sole reason we got through that day. The sump tank was removed, its hole was re-dug, dried, and then lined with concrete blocks and cement. It was grueling physical labor that lasted 8 hours. The sump was put back in and the water flow was restored. By the end of the day, the system looked as though nothing even happened, but our bodies sure did. My body ached from scooping out 5 gallon buckets of water from one tank and moving it to another.
So, what did we learn from this experience? First and foremost, "extension cord" translated into creole can be many things, including a rope to tie up your goat. I got my extension cord that day, but I didn't find anything to tie up my goat with (ba dum psh). Second, never say things like "it couldn't get any worse;" God is listening and I'm sure even He needs a good laugh once in a while. Finally, the fish smell takes about 5 showers and some serious pumice stone scrubbing to finally go away; roommate tested and mother approved.
Third Try - Tank 14
355 Tilapia
| I'm not sure who looks better, me or that dead fish...keep your answers to yourself. |
For the first time I actually ate some tilapia - Shane filleted 7 fish for all of us to fry up - it was a big family dinner. Although the fish tasted great, the first bite tasted too much like the smell on my hands. Again, only complaint is the smell :)
The End.
WAIT!
What do we do with all the fish?
We freeze them and eat them in the feeding center at Grace Village. The kids and staff love fish and they're often served in soups or with rice. One harvest provides enough for 6 meals. We also donate a few bags to other Haitian orphanages we support. Also, the ladies that clean the fish each get a bag of fish to take home. The same for the aquaponics workers: Salomon, Franck and Isaac.
How do we decide when to harvest?
We try to harvest the fish when they average 1.5 - 2 lbs, which we find takes approx. 10 months We purchase the fingerlings when they're just .3 grams and after a couple months we start weighing a small population each week to monitor their progress.
| babies! |
Why do fish look so much better with googly eyes?
They just do.

Great post, Skye! And awesome pictures!
ReplyDelete